The five FSMO roles are:
- Schema master – Forest-wide and one per forest.
- Domain naming master – Forest-wide and one per forest.
- RID master – Domain-specific and one for each domain.
- PDC – PDC Emulator is domain-specific and one for each domain.
- Infrastructure master – Domain-specific and one for each domain.
Best practice shows to seperate these roles between multiple DCs and multiple sites. The only one you have to be careful of putting is the Infrastructure Master which should not be placed on a Global Catalog server, unless you only have one domain controller.
On any domain controller type the following on the command prompt to Seize rolls
1. ntdsutil ENTER
2. roles ENTER
3. connections ENTER
4. connect to server <server name you want the role to go to> ENTER
5. q ENTER
6. seize <role, which can be “domain naming master”, “infrastructure master”, “PDC”, “RID master”, or “scheme master”>
7. You will receive a warning window letting you know if you want to perform the seize. Click Yes.